Wednesday

“Channel i Shera Kontho” winner Konal : Voice of the generation

On December 25, Somnur Monir Konal became the winner of the 2009 "Channel i Shera Kontho". For Konal, a fourth semester student of United International University, the recognition is a giant leap forward.

"I always wanted to become a singer; I see the 'Shera Kontho' crown as a realisation of my dream," said Konal.

Konal grew up in a music-oriented family. "I was introduced to music and singing when I was four years old by my mother Saima Monir. She has been a major source of motivation.

"My mother had a harmonium and she loved to sing; when I grew up we used to sing together."

"My father Monir Hossain's profession took our family to Kuwait when I was six years-old," she continued."

"I went to the Kuwait branch of Rabindra Bharti University for a diploma in Indian classical music. After my A-level exams I moved to Bangladesh in 2008. When I moved to Bangladesh I still had one year left of the diploma which is a five-year course, I had plans to attend the final year in Kolkata. In the meantime I got a chance to participate at the 'Shera Kontho' contest."

"As part of the award, I won a scholarship at the AR Rahman Music Institute in Chennai. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me," Konal said.

Recalling her "Channel i Shera Kontho" experiences, the young artiste said, "I will always remember my audition. The night before was sleepless. I went to the Channel i Tejgaon office early at 5:30 am on the audition day with my maternal uncle and aunt. I was the first candidate of the day. Lyricist Kabir Bokul and singer Nadira Begum evaluated my audition."

Speaking of her future plans, Konal said, "I want to be an accomplished classical singer. I also have interest in music composition. In future I would like to contribute to the music industry as a successful singer and music composer.”

1 comment:

  1. When she was in Kuwait my dad introduced her in most of his shows. I hope she remembers him atleast after she gains success in future !

    ReplyDelete